<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://box5313.temp.domains/~booksiha

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Castle Rackrent by Maria Edgeworth


Artist's impression (from the NLS site)

Is not going to be making my list of favourite books this year. Not sure if I wasn’t concentrating on it enough, but I found it rather confusing and not all that interesting to be honest. Maybe if I was around at the time or had some interest in Anglo-Irish relations I’d be howling with laughter, but I was quite glad it was so short!

The massive introduction by Anne Thackeray Ritchie didn’t help either, especially as it was about a third of the book and I just wanted it to be over so I could get on with reading the rest. Nor did the glossary. As I had the free edition I got [glossary 1] or whichever number repeated multiple times with no linking so I only got the joke or the point she was trying to make at the end.  

It was only towards the end that it started to make sense and I started to see the humour in the novel, by which time it was almost over. I could go into more detail analysing it but I think I’d prefer to move on to the next book.

Anyway, I’m sure that the rest of Edgeworth’s novels will be better so I am not going to let it put me off reading more of her work, after all, it was Maria’s first novel and it was a little like Trollope’s The Kellys and the O’Kellys.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home