<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://box5313.temp.domains/~booksiha

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Instruments of Darkness by Imogen Robertson

I like the cover (from the author's website)      
I am not generally a reader of murder mysteries, particularly the modern ones, although I have read a few popular ones a while ago. I do, however, sometimes enjoy historical murder mysteries, especially if they have a good description of the period atmosphere.  I thought this book did, and I enjoyed the plot of Harriet Westerman and Gabriel Crowther discovering the secrets of Thornleigh Hall. 

Unlike some of the other reviews I read I didn’t have a problem with the split narrative style, neither loving it nor hating it. The biggest criticism I had was after setting up an interesting investigative duo, I felt that Robertson didn’t really go into that much detail about them. Yes, they had back stories, but I would’ve liked more about them. She seemed to skip back and forth and never really linger over them.  However, I suspect that this might be deliberate, particularly when it comes to Crowther’s past, as I think there is going to be more focus on him in the third book. I’ve already noticed more Harriet in book two. 

So, overall a good if a little bit of a forgettable read. I will however, continue to read the rest of her books and I’m not going to be too judgemental as this one was her first. One more point (and spoiler), leopards?!  It had the slight air of the author running out of steam or attempting to be a bit too quirky. I will forgive her though, the rest of the book was fine and seemed both of the period and not too much of the period. I might not be making that much sense, I think the point that I’m trying to make is that if I wanted it to be completely of the period I’d read things written from then, although I value historical accuracy a little bit of poetic license is fine, and so is a little bit of salty language (Mrs. Westerman is an f-bomber on occasion) as long as it’s in context. Okay, I get that it’s not strictly accurate, but I also get why Robertson inserted it – Harriet’s background and character as someone who doesn’t necessarily choose to conform to societal expectations of the time.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home