<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://box5313.temp.domains/~booksiha

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Update

No, I haven't been around a lot lately. And I've had to give up on the Proust due to unforseen circumstances. I changed my job then had a baby about 3 months ago. Somehow, I am still reading mad books, but I'm obviously less able to read and blog about books due to time constraints.

Anyway, checking my original list I have read the following:

  • Finished Swann's Way before my life got a bit mad
  • During pregnancy and since the baby I've managed the first four books in the Barchester Chronicles. Currently on the 4th. They seem to be getting progressively more difficult to finish, but I think that's a combination of length and being a bit distracted.
  • Read the first book of A Dance to the Music of Time very close to and after the due date of my extremely late son. Impressed, but have yet to gain the momentum to return.

Otherwise, along the way I have meandered through the following:

  • A short Goodreads trail of American fiction. Pick a book, read it then go for the first recommendation. This way I read a couple of Henry James and Edith Wharton novels before I got recommended Barchester, at which point I went off track to read the series. Hoping to get the momentum to read the Palliser novels if I ever finish the last two chronicles. 
  • Anna Karenina was not on the original list, only War and Peace. Read it. Hated the modern adaptation, though considering how annoying Jude Law is, he didn't do too badly.
  • Discovered Edward St.Aubyn since the baby, I though the Patrick Melrose novels were brilliant, I am on the final one. Somehow, I have discovered a liking for the kind of misanthropic characters I didn't used to like reading about that much previously.
  • Back on the old chick-lit bandwagon along with funny mummy novels, bonk-busters, historical romances, Penny Vincenzi doorstops and basically any kind of light reading I can get my hands on.
  • Speaking of doorstops, I'm also currently wading through The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet and The Cornish Trilogy by Robertson Davies, with varying degrees of success depending on how many books I am currently reading. It's a bit easier to read things in bed by the light of the Kindle Fire rather than try to attach a book light to a massive book, so some stuff gets neglected. Books need to be easy to pick up and put down, hence the chick-lit. 
  • I still buy and borrow far too many books. By the end of this year I should be able to get through about 60, which is not bad considering how busy it's been. 
So, I guess I will still attempt to blog when I can and one day I will return to my project of writing about the books I am reading. I think if I can get the occasional review in whilst being a full time mummy I'll consider that a bonus. 


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home