<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://box5313.temp.domains/~booksiha

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Notes on Notes


I managed to read the first three chapters of Ulysses last night and a forth chapter this morning. I had time last night to carry on reading, but felt satisfied after the three chapters I read. When I began, I was using the notes at the back a great deal, particularly with the third chapter (Proteus); however, I found that the notes sometimes interrupted the flow. Sometimes I want to know what it means, other times I just want to enjoy the ebb and flow of the language. At the moment, I am looking up a point if I need to, but I leave the chapter summaries until the end and don’t worry unduly if I don’t really ‘get’ it. I don’t think I’m supposed to, especially on the first reading. All those bloomin’ charts on who is supposed to be whom and the colours and organs and motifs for each chapter/episode? Too off-putting for a first reading. 

My response? I am half dazzled by the magnificent lyricism of the writing, half convinced of its insufferable pretention. I found the third chapter hard as some of the internet reviews warned, but I am not tempted to line up the study guides yet, and the fourth chapter (Calypso) thankfully normal service resumed. I can see how Joyce has influenced other writers, not just of the period but later as well (Infinite Jest springs to mind). It is a stunning use of stream-of-consciousness/interior monologue technique in the way that Joyce’s characters have distinct ‘voices’. 

Studying Classics and R.E at school and Classics modules at University has helped, having little knowledge of Irish history and politics has hindered. Nevertheless, I am pushing on. Glad that I never studied the book in University as I can see that it is not a book to be forced; you have to want to read it, and probably to re-read it time and time again to be able to fully explore the multitude of references.

Internet research has been fruitful and varied. Glad that there are people out there fence-sitting, I am intimidated by the rabid intellectuals screaming that it is the best book in the English language, and by the equally fervent haters who can’t understand why anyone would like it. I’d rather stay out of either camp, and I am particularly not reading it so that I can boast about the experience. Perhaps I am just one of those people out there who enjoy the masochistic thrill of the whole thing. I am bemused by the anecdotes of people treating it like some sort of Bible, making pilgrimages to Ireland.

The text is undoubtedly error-riddled, but I’m glad that I’m reading this particular edition as it is a facsimile of the original edition. It gives the experience of reading it as it was, minus the modern typefaces and corrections. 


A helpful, enthusiastic yet not too deferential atricle. I like Blah Blah Bloomsday too (from the same site), good links and pictures.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home