<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://box5313.temp.domains/~booksiha

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, March 14, 2016

Where to next?

Had a bit of a binge on the Victorian pastiche, and I've now finished The Quincunx, as well as The Unburied and Rustication (all Charles Palliser). Then I went onto Kept (D J Taylor) and I'm about the finish Derby Day. I think that the two authors differ in that Palliser's novels are more centred on the plot and read more similarly to Dickens or Wilkie Collins. They are both postmodern, but somehow I find Taylor's postmodernism more extreme. Palliser's novels take the Victorian elements such as the coincidences and links between characters and multiply them to the extreme. The mysteries seem genuine mysteries which, in the case of the Quincunx, are not necessarily satisfactorily solved by the reader due to the unreliable FPN. Taylor's novels don't exactly read as murder mysteries, much to the disgust of some of the Goodreads reviewers, the mystery is more like how and why the characters are linked, and Taylor meticulously recreates Victorian atmosphere with references and excerpts from novels of the period as well as from recreated newspaper reports and letters. So far I have enjoyed all of them, but I have to say The Quincunx has been my favourite and one I'd like to re-read at some point.

So, I have sort of reached the point where I am not sure whether to go on with Victorian mysteries or move onto something else. I think I'd like to read An Instance of the Fingerpost before I get out of the genre for a spell; I know it's not Victorian but I think it would round it off nicely.

Otherwise, I have finished The Black Moon (Poldark). I am still meandering through Balzac, a couple of the stories have been a bit forgettable, but I think I will probably continue, although I feel like I am cheating a little on my Goodreads count as if I have a quiet day I can get through one or two in a few hours. I suppose it makes up for the giant books I am trying to read though. Otherwise, not a huge amount of progress on the other books I'm reading as I've been reading a couple of library books in the meantime.

 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home