<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://box5313.temp.domains/~booksiha

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Aeolus - In the Newspaper Offices

This was not my favourite chapter, and in fact, took two goes and a night off reading (I got about halfway through, but really wasn't in the mood so decided to put it down and go back to it). 
I guess I felt on the first reading that I was missing things with the newspaper headlines and the magic rhetorical techniques, which I admit to knowing very little about. This seems to be a quite inaccessible chapter which would benefit from a study guide. I found myself bewildered as to what was actually happening (although this may be due to my current mood), so ended up focussing more of the depiction of the newspaper office and the multiple references to wind in the chaper.







Taken from an American site. 
Reading around the chapter, it looks as if some of the chapter headings aim to confuse as a technique (as if the book doesn't confuse and bewilder enough). I guess I can see here why people dislke it or find it hard to read, but I'm determined to finish it. Some of the headlines add to the chapter, summaring the sections or adding irony, for example, 'unfeigned regret' I thought was quite ironic in tone, some headlines are misleading or don't make a lot of sense to me. The chapter is also full with plays on words, riddles and lymericks. Thankfully, the wonderful Ito has written another article, which has cleared a few things up. He doesn't get to bogged-down in the rhetorical side of things, but again links the writing with the history behind it. I was going to try and look at the rhetric, but on further reflection, I think I'd actually rather spend the time actually reading the book, so I am going to move swiftly on.  

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home